martes, 19 de julio de 2011

The Many Sights, Sounds and Tastes of El Salvador

The people of El Salvador are just so friendly and warm. Although I do not speak much Spanish, people here make it a point to speak English to me or resort to using beginner’s level Spanish just so I can understand. They’re awesome and I wish I knew more Spanish, when I come back I will be sure to speak it fluently. We’ve been visiting historic landmarks and doing the extreme sports that El Salvador has to offer. I have to admit, rappelling from a mountain was something that I had made up in my mind that I was NOT doing, even as we were driving to the site in the car. However, when we got there I had mustered up the courage to at least try it and that was a great experience. Although I was scared and totally not listening to instructions, I got through and I’m glad I did it! I thought that was the scariest moment of my trip. But that activity was trumped because last weekend we visited Juayua and went to Alaska which is a ropes course that is over 16 feet high. That was terrifying, exhilarating and fun all at the same time. My adrenaline got me through the balance tests and my training from four years of ROTC got me through the strength tests, Colonel would be so proud of his cadet! Also on the weekends we relax, this past weekend after the ropes course we swam and did trash pick-up at a water fall and that was a great experience. The water was nice and the scene was breathtakingly beautiful, one of El Salvadors’ many hidden treasures. It’s not something that you would expect from a country that is so small but it is a pleasant surprise nonetheless. My favorite activity of the trip thus far has to be the coffee plantation. We were treated like V.I.P. Not only did we receive a tour as if we were coffee beans but we got to smell and sample about eighteen different types of coffee. The coffee was delicious and I was really honored to have that opportunity. Our weekend getaways are not only filled with exciting activities but some of the BEST food on the planet. I couldn’t even begin to name all of the food that I have enjoyed here in El Salvador, but some of my favorites are: Kolashanpan!!, pupusas, horchata, quesadillas (El Salvadoran style) and much much more! I am really going to miss waking up to the sounds of chirping birds, roosters and dogs all mixed together. It really is the ultimate alarm clock. The mountains are beautiful as well, the best I’ve ever seen. This has definitely been a summer service trip to remember and learn from. Hasta Luego!

Ashley Hargrove

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario