martes, 19 de julio de 2011

The Farewell to Hogar de Padre Vito, But This Is Far From Final

My summer service trip has been memorable in so many ways. Not only am I having tons of fun on the weekends doing extreme activities that I never thought I’d have the courage to do, most importantly I am making an impact on lives at Hogar de Padre Vito. I have really connected with many residents at the orphanage and thinking that tomorrow is my last day volunteering and truly saddening. I will most the light in their eyes every time I turned the corner to enter “el Rancho” on the weekday mornings. How they would greet me “Hola Mama” and give me tons of hugs and kisses. I will miss playing uno with Geovanny, coloring and looking at jewelry with Ana, speaking Spanglish with Xiomara in the afternoons and being dragged around by Bryan to everywhere he wanted to go and his infectious smile. I must say that this experience was totally changed my perspective on teachers and staff who take care of children with Special Needs. They have my utmost respect and admiration. I have only been volunteering here in El Salvador for close to three weeks, but most of the staff have been at the Hogar for years. They clothe, bathe, feed, play with and overall take care of 130 residents each and every day. It’s simply amazing to be able to witness these children living the dignified life that they deserve. I would really like to thank Jaime, Rody and the entire PeaceJam staff for helping put together this amazing opportunity of a lifetime. It has done its job and changed my life. I hope to come back here several times in my life to catch up with the children and offer my services. The next time I will bring more friends and more open hearts to love and volunteer for these kids. I would also like to thank Casey for being my partner in changing lives during this trip. It wouldn’t be the same without you!

Ashley Hargrove

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario