miércoles, 20 de julio de 2011

Art in El Salvador for a Good Cause: On Meeting Miguel Angel Ramirez

One of the most special aspects of this trip for me has been making the acquaintance of El Salvadoran artist Miguel Angel Ramirez. Earlier in the trip Ashley, Jaime and I went to the small town of Panchimalco to visit his workshop. In the front room was a small gallery featuring artwork by his students and a featured local artist. The high quality of the paintings/ silkscreens and the level of creativity was stunning. There was one painting that Jaime found out was painted by a seventeen year old boy, of palm trees along the coast of a river (painted only from memory!!), that honestly had a level of skill and that I never would have attributed to someone at so young an age. Then in the back is a spectacular multi-level garden, which includes his art studio, more featured paintings by his students and space for classes. Miguel Angel Ramirez places significant value on educating youth. He offers art classes for kids in El Salvador for only a dollar a month! When Jaime said we were going to meet him, I figured it would be brief and formal- after all, a famous artist has other things to worry about. I couldn't have been more wrong! He was very friendly and down to Earth. Although he didn't speak English, he asked questions through Jaime to us and allowed us to take as many photos as we wanted. In fact, HE wanted to take photos with US! Meanwhile, he is very talented and his works often go for tens of thousands of dollars a piece. I felt so honored to have met someone who uses his gifts to bring about meaningful change in his community. I also liked the subject matter of his artwork, notably the photography series with a curvacious woman photographed in black and white, figuratively struggling with the media's pressures to look thin and perfect and trying to accept her own beauty.
While we were there, Miguel Angel Ramirez invited us to a charity event that he organized called the Noche de Arte por los ninos. Fourteen local artists sold their paintings at the event at reduced prices, with a percentage going towards buying wheelchairs for children with physical disabilities and helping to support art education. Ashley and I felt so cultured, walking around in our nice outfits, sipping wine and looking at El Salvadoran art. Best of all, I met the young man who painted the picture I just mentioned! His name was Samuel Beltran, and it was his first exhibition of work. His mother was there too, and she said it was an honour for him to have his photo taken with Ashley and I. I was not expecting that since I had been thinking it would mean more for me meeting someone whose work I admired and wished I could buy (alas, I didn't have $800 extra dollars to spend) than it would for him.
I don't know how many paintings were sold in all, though all of Miguel Angel Ramirez's paintings sold while we were there, and over a hundred people paid the required $20 donation for entry, so at least a few thousand dollars were raised. I hope that he considered the event a success like I did! And now for some photos :)

-Casey Reit


This painting is by Miguel Angel Ramirez, from "Serie inocencia." It captures one of his signature styles.


With Mr Ramirez in his studio! (The painting on the right is commissioned. Struck me as a bit odd, perhaps because he isn't used to painting children that are not of Latin American descent.)


Hair pic! (Everyone here loves Ashley's braids!)

Teaching a class outside:
From Noche de Arte por los ninos:

Photo with Samuel Beltran!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario